innovate. Collaborate. Advance.
For more than 60 years, HRL's scientists and engineers have been on the leading edge of technology, conducting pioneering research, providing real-world technology solutions, and advancing the state of the art. We continue to be recognized as one of the world's premier physical science and engineering research laboratories.
Our research collaborations with our LLC Member companies, government, commercial and academic institutions are realizing groundbreaking advances in ultra-high-performance circuitry, robust computing and communications, automated data extraction, and innovative architected materials. Our technologies operate in space, on aircraft, in automobiles, and in a variety of consumer products. These technologies make us safer, support our national security and improve our quality of life.
Our success is the result of our collaborative team of researchers, many of whom are the leading experts in their fields. Through their insights in support for our customers, we are finding the unique opportunities in technology. As we look to the future, the technologies we are enabling today will be integral to a prosperous, secure, sustainable world.
- Formerly Hughes Research Laboratories (established 1948)
- Formed as a Limited Liability Company (LLC) in 1997
- R&D for The Boeing Company and General Motors (LLC Members)
- Government and commercial contracts (prime and subcontractor)
- AS9100 accredited
- DoD Trusted Foundry
- 250,000 square feet of lab space
- 10,000-square-foot Class 10 clean room
- Located on 72 acres in Malibu, California
Photo of Chevy Volt Courtesy General Motors